Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Is the birth control pill abortifacient? A well researched paper argues that not all BCPs are created equal.

For your perusal, a very well written, well reasearched article about the abortifacient effects of the "Pill" from a staunchly pro-life obstetrics and gynecologic medical society.

http://www.aaplog.org/decook.htm

Because of this enlightening article and the very thorough research behind it, we can now approach the issue of hormonal contraceptives and actually make the DFLA's 95-10 initiative palatable to many more people.

In my own life, I form my opinions based on information from all sides of an issue. I have had much difficulty with hormonal birth control because of the percieved abortifacient effect. Now that there is a well researched paper with documentation and citations to support that Combination Birth Control is NOT abortifacient, I can now include it as an alternative to abortion when I speak to people and still be safe in my own moral standing and belief system.

From my strong Catholic Faith, I believe that all Birth Control is wrong, but, when I speak to others I always base all the information and arguments presented from an ethical standpoint, not a religous one.

In the Pro-Life cause, while religion is important to most people, it is not necessary to base the unwavering opposition to abortion (or any affront to life like hunger, war, Capital Punishment) on a religous basis. The ethical and humanistic arguments are evidence enough that they are wrong.

P.S. for the 1st time in many years we actually have a pro-life democrat running for governor (Kaine, who is also a Catholic who has done missionary work) as well as a pro-life democrat running for Lt. Governor (Phil Puckett). The reason I mention this is because today is primary day in Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home